This page is about a family of Sussex origin many of whom lived in Australia.
John Cayley was born, probably in the Maresfield area of Sussex. some time before 1795. His wife was called Sarah. They were almost certainly related to Abraham Cayley, born in Maresfield in 1803 (see Sussex Cayleys). They had at least two children:
- George Cayley, born before 1811, who maried Sarah Anne Bradbury
- Martha Cayley, baptised in Maresfield in 1814.
George Cayley and Sarah Anne Bradbury had at least 8 children:
- Alfred Henry Cayley (b. 1825 in Maresfield, d. 1871 in Amherst, Victoria, Australia), who is recorded as a servant in Maresfield in the 1841 census, moved to London where he was a stationer, and emigrated to Victoria in 1852 on the Chalmers. In 1856 he married Kathleen Eliza Coates (1837-1928).
- Charles Cayley
- Warwick Cayley
- John Cayley
- Louisa Cayley
- Emily Cayley
- Elizabeth Cayley
- Violet Cayley
Alfred Henry Cayley and Kathleen Eliza Coates had at least seven children:
- Kathleen Louisa Cayley (b. 1856 in Amherst, Victoria; d. 1947 in Mornington, Victoria), who in 1878 married Robert Duncan Gourley (b. 1857 in Killarney, Ireland; d. 1912 in Melbourne, Victoria)
- Frederick John Cayley (b. 1858 at McCallum Creek, Talbot, Victoria; d. 1949 in Preston, Victoria), who worked as a butcher in Werribee (where the family lived until at least the 1920s) and subsequently a farmer in Victoria. In 1897 he married Sarah Jane Wood, and they had at least four children:
- Warwick Calmady Cayley (b. 1898 in Northcote, Victoria; d. 1987 in Werribee, Victoria), a farmer and thoroughbred horse breeder who served in World War 2 and who in 1946 was a Lt-Colonel, and became chairman of Metropolitan Dairies
- Emily May Cayley (b. 1900 in Outtrim, Victoria; d. 1976 in Toorak, Victoria), who worked as a clerk
- Frederick Wood Cayley (b. 1903 in Outtrim, Victoria; d. 1969 in Toorak, Victoria), who was a dairyman, founding Metropolitan Dairies, and who in 1940 married Ivy Maie Atkinson (1906-1998)
- Francis James Cayley (b. 1906 in Werribee, Victoria; d. 1969 in Toorak, Victoria), who became a director of Metropolitan Dairies in 1949
- Sarah Ann Cayley (b. 1860 at McCullins Creek, Maryborough, Victoria; d. 1899 in Western Australia
- Ellen Mary Cayley (b. 1862 in Maryborough, Victoria), who in 1896 married George Nott
- Alfred Henry Cayley (b. 1864 in Maryborough, Victoria, where he died in 1936), a blacksmith who married Eliza (Elizabeth) Ellen Rankin in 1887. They had at least 8 children:
- William Alfred Cayley (b. 1888 in Maryborough, Victoria; d. 1960 in Victoria), a driver who in 1915 married Mary Florence Rowe (d. 1983) and had one daughter, Dorothy June Cayley (1923-2002) who married Robert Milton Dockery in 1945
- Kathleen Elizabeth Cayley (b. 1890 on Majorca, Victoria; d. probably before 1949)
- Ellen (Nellie) Cayley (b. 1891 in Carisbrook, Victoria; d. 1974 in Mooropna, Victoria), who married John George Alexander Blair (1891-1941) in 1919
- Mary Cayley (b. 1894 in Majorca, Victoria; d. probably before 1977)
- Myrtle Cayley (b. 1896 in Majorca, Victoria)
- Frederick Warwick Cayley (b. 1898 in Majorca, Victoria)
- Florence Ivy Cayley (b. 1901 in Maryborough, Victoria)
- Vera Alice Cayley (b. 1904 in Maryborough, Victoria), who was a textile workjer in 1931.
- Elizabeth Emily Cayley (b. 1867 in Maryborough, Victoria), who married James Eunson in 1893
- Warwick James Cayley (b. 1871 in Craigie, Victoria; d. 1889 in Melbourne, Victoria)