Cailly is now a village some 18 miles (29 kilometres) North-East of Rouen in Normandy. In 2006 it had some 750 inhabitants. The main local activity is farming, but some of the residents commute to Rouen and other towns fairly nearby. There is a château and just visible are the vestiges of a castle, possibly built in the 12th century. In 1066 the fief was held by Osbern de Cailly, whose son Guillaume came over to England that year and probably fought at the Battle of Hastings. Osbern bequeathed his lands in Normandy to his younger sons Osbern de Preaux and Roger de Cailly: Roger inherited Cailly. Both were benefactors of abbeys in Rouen.